Are you looking to jazz up your volunteerism? Spice up your marketing? Or simply looking for new ways to energize donors and supporters?
If you answered “Yes!” to any of these, then these top nonprofit trends for 2023 fit the bill. Ranging from trends in volunteerism to technology, this list encompasses useful things any nonprofit, big or small, can fit into their activities. Choose the nonprofit trends that fit into your overall mission, vision, and plans for 2023, and get ready to grow.
Three Nonprofit Trends to Try in 2023
- Volunteer Management Trends
Managing volunteers can be challenging. It can be difficult to find enough people willing to donate their time. Work, family engagements, and other obligations often keep people from volunteering the hours that a nonprofit needs.
However, one of the trends in volunteer management is the notion of hybrid volunteerism. This trend is like hybrid work: some of it is online, while another portion is in person. In a hybrid volunteer model, nonprofits add virtual options to their events and other activities. People who may not be able to attend in person often find they can attend online.
In the post-pandemic world, people expect virtual options for about everything. And why not? Offering a lower-cost virtual ticket to an event or fundraiser is a terrific way to expand the opportunity, raise additional funds, and build a sustainable, long-term fundraising event.
Another development in the world of volunteering is micro volunteerism. As the name implies, it encourages people to volunteer in small, ad hoc ways. Many people who cannot otherwise contribute can make a small yet meaningful contribution to an organization through micro volunteerism. Think about online opportunities such as sharing on social media, asking people to sign up for matching programs or other incentives, and similar activities.
Lastly, do you have a mobile volunteerism initiative planned? Like hybrid volunteerism and micro volunteerism, a combination of technology and the internet has made mobile volunteerism an important trend for 2023. Think text messages (sent to the recipient with their permission, of course!), apps, or other information that can be portable on a mobile phone.
- Fundraising Trends
While the bake sale or rummage sale is not out of the question, nonprofit fundraising trends have grown increasingly more sophisticated with the passage of time. Among the 2023 nonprofit trends are fundraising trends. These include:
- Personalizing donor experiences: providing donors with personalized content to thank them and engage them in your nonprofit’s mission.
- Online fundraising activities: the internet has broadened everyone’s ability to fundraise. What was once limited to local activities can now be shared globally with the goal of raising more funds.
- Membership programs: if it makes sense to do so, a monthly giving program can translate into a membership with benefits for members that make it worth their while to participate.
- Monthly giving plans: a regularly occurring gift can provide a steady recurring source of revenue.
- Immediate needs: another trend shaping up for 2023 is digital fundraising to impart a sense of urgency, listing the nonprofit’s immediate needs.
- Nonprofit Technology Trends
We have mentioned the internet continuing to have significant impact on volunteerism, fundraising, and program delivery for nonprofits. Other types of technology are also having a major impact on nonprofits and increasing their ability to reach volunteers, donors, and program activity recipients.
Consider your current technology base; do you have what you need to run your organization efficiently? Grant and fundraising software, tracking software, and nonprofit accounting software are all critical components of an efficient nonprofit.
Among nonprofit technology trends, the following are trends that continue to grow in importance as we head into the second half of 2023:
- Social media: nonprofits use social media for a variety of reasons, but every social media platform provides a fantastic way to interact with the public.
- Texting: special software exists that can send automated texts for fundraising, events, immediate needs, etc. It is important, however, to always follow permission-based marketing best practices.
- Videos: video continues to be one of the most popular ways to share content and it continues to grow exponentially. Almost every social media platform now offers some form of video content, so think beyond TikTok or YouTube and connect with your audience wherever they prefer to be online.
Ready for 2023 Nonprofit Trends? Let’s Talk
If you are reading this and you feel like you have fallen behind on keeping up with the trends, never fear – there’s still time. Focus on the basics, build your plan, and then enact it. Even enacting just one new tactic may invigorate your programs and breathe new life into volunteerism, fundraising, or technology.
Welter Consulting bridges people and technology together for effective solutions for nonprofit organizations. We offer software and services that can help you with your accounting needs. Please contact us for more information.